Kristen Miranda, Anchor
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) – May 14, 2016
For many young people, summer is a time to play and relax. For young professionals, or soon to be, Michelle Horton says it is UP TIME! Time to get ahead.
Horton is a professor with the Wake Forest University School of Business and the founder and CEO of YOUniversity Drive, LLC.
Horton visited WBTV News Saturday Morning to share 5 Things Every College Student Should Do This Summer:
1. Get an Internship, Volunteer, Learn a New Skill.
- Further experience and knowledge of your industry
- Gain insight into your field of study
- Beef up your resume
- Make yourself more marketable
2. Get in Formation
- Revise: Update and edit your resume.
- Research: Research companies of interest to identify questions you can ask in your interview.
- Practice: Work on interviewing skills.
- Network: Set up 2 networking informational interviews each week.
3. Make a budget
- Keep track of spending for upcoming semester
- Set spending limit each month for food, rent, transportation, food supplies, entertainment and other expenses
- Tip: Planning ahead can help reduce stress and keep you focused on your studies.
4. Catch Up on Reading.
- Pick a NY Times Best Seller, an old classic or how-to book to open your mind and learn something new
- Tip: A few recommended books for college students:
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
- The Best Advice I’ve Ever Got: Lessons from
- Extraordinary Lives by Katie Couric
5. Travel, Explore
- Go hiking, attend a music festival, step outside of your daily routine
- Tip: Stretching yourself beyond the chair by the pool can be valuable. Travel teaches tolerance, self-sufficiency and resourcefulness, three keys that you can use for the rest of your life.
Download the complete list in our Store!
Copyright 2016 WBTV. All Rights Reserved.